This page has moved to a new address.

"Move Over Michael Jackson...I Am Moon Walking!"

Go Backpack With Jenny: "Move Over Michael Jackson...I Am Moon Walking!"

Saturday, August 21, 2010

"Move Over Michael Jackson...I Am Moon Walking!"

The only things not sore on my body today are my typing fingers--so I think I can manage to sit back in my chair long enough to write up my latest trip report.

I am trying to decide what to call this trip. “Eat, Pee, Walk” was what I was going to go with (a tip of my hat to the movie that just came out titled “Eat, Pray, Love”) but, now that I have actually done the hike, I should either call it “Gone With The Wind” or perhaps even “Move Over Michael Jackson…I Am Moon Walking!”

Well whatever I decide to call this trip, I have to tell you that I have a different experience every time I go out into nature. I learn something new and get to develop a new skill. The new skill I learned on this trip was how to walk sideways with a 28 pound pack uphill with a freight train of wind running into me.

I have backpacked in rain, lightening, threat of forest fire, heat, cold, lack of water, river crossings, up switchbacks, down switchbacks…..but never before in such a wind.

The picture below is Mt. Saint Helen's, Mt. Rainer in the middle, and Mt. Adams.
This is a picture of the Eliot Creek landslide/washout from up above near Eliot glacier.
Picture below is the Eliot glacier up close and personal.
Bella and the Eliot glacier early in the morning.
Again...Mt. Saint Helen's.....Mr. Rainer.......Mt. Adams taken from Cloud cap.

We started out this trip by parking Bens little truck at the Cloud Cap campground after a nine mile drive straight-up a gravel road to the trailhead. Before we actually headed out on the trail that we were going to hike we took a short detour, walking the opposite direction to where the Timberline trail was washed out in a massive landslide in 2007. I had heard that some round' the mountain hikers of this trail had been lowering themselves down with ropes to be able to complete the whole loop. I wanted to see these ropes for myself; to see if it looked like something I could perhaps do on a future hike.

It looks like a huge part of the mountain has slid off the side of Mt. Hood when you stand on the edge of that wash-out. I never saw any ropes to make the decent where we were standing. The hiking trail just stops at a deep drop off into the canyon, with runoff from the Eliot glacier rushing far below down the narrow channel.

We retraced our steps back to Bens truck to put on our packs. Then we both headed up the mountain going south on the Timberline trail which, from this direction, heads directly up to the Cooper Spur stone shelter that sits below the Eliot glacier at about 6500'. This 10 foot square shelter was built in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps. We passed several friendly day hikers who had gone up to view the glacier and shelter but were now heading back down to the trail head.

The wind had been kicking up a bit down in the parking area but it was not until we crested the first small saddle that we felt it's full power; a strong head-wind that we would have to battle to the top. Twice it almost knocked me off my feet as it screamed over the summit slamming into my pack. Ben had to tie his hat on to keep it from flying off back down the trail behind us. It took all my strength to keep putting one boot in front of the other while tears blurred my vision. The wind! The wind! It was tearing my face off!!

Finally we reached the shelter….but there were two young women already set up inside of it, so we hunted around for a refuge from the wind. Not far below it, set down in a small depression behind a huge bolder, there was a flat space big enough for our tent. Ben and I had decided to only carry one larger tent for this trip and boy were we glad we had made that decision! The heavier tent would have a much better chance staying up in this force gale.

Once we figured out how to block our little cook stove from the air swirling around us, we had a fast dinner just as the last light was fading from the sky. One by one the stars came out over our heads. The wind died down enough that we could stand out for a short while to watch the lights in towns far far below us slowly come on. Out in the distant desert east if us, we saw a strange sight that we are going to investigate further. There was a large field of faint red lights that would switch on and off in a rhythmic fashion. It was not an airfield; there were just too many lights for that to be the explanation. Perhaps it is an alien aircraft landing area? (Just kidding).

The wind started to howl again so we packed it in, and climbing into our bags. We could hear the gails rattle the old stone shelter above us as we chatted late into the evening. It was a comfort to know that we were all safely tucked away, us down in our safe hole behind the bolder. It would have been crazy to try to sleep in a tent that night without anything to block the monster--though quite warm--wind that kept bearing down on us all.

The next morning broke with streaks of red in the East. I am used to waking up tucked down in a dark dense forest so this was a new experience for me. It was bright at about 5:45am. I was up and out of our tent by 6:00am. The wind was light and warm. I decided to take Bella on up a spur trail to get closer to the Eliot glacier before Ben got up. We switched backed up for a couple of miles until we hit the end of the trail. We were so close to the top of Mt. Hood it looked like we could just walk right up to the summit to sit there for awhile. Of course, this is not the case. Many people have died on that mountain trying to summit it. I stood for awhile at somewhere around 7500' hoping to catch a glimpse of someone perhaps trying to make the attempt....but just couldn't spot anyone.

From up that high though I was able to get a great view from up above the washout that I had seen the day before from further down below. It seems that some round' the mountain hikers are also crossing/bypassing the washout from way up here on the glacier that feeds the raging glacial stream. I looked and looked, but just could not see where they might be doing the crossing.

Daylight was burning, so Bella and I turned our noses back down the mountain to help break camp and get our boots on the trail.

It is like walking on the moon up there so far above the Timberline. It is all volcanic boulders and very little plant life. The trail climbs steady up past several rock cairns that mark the path. It was here that a hiker with a Swiss accent caught up with us….I noted that he was carrying an ice hatchet. We chatted for a second before he passed by and then hiked on ahead of us. It was only a few more curves in our trail that I then became very aware of why this fellow had that ice hatchet in his hand.

The section of the Timberline trail that we did next had several dangerous snow fields to traverse. These took skill and plently of time to cross safely. When I get myself into situations like this that can be very dangerous, I just have to concentrate on planting one boot in front of the other until I get to the other side...otherwise panic can start to set in and I do not want to have to back track everything I have done, only to go home with my tail between my legs. It was nearly 100 degrees in the Portland valley just a few days before, so it gives you an idea of just how high up we were to be negotiating through snow and ice on a mid-August summer day.




To mis-step and to slip, is to slide down to a smashing stop against volcanic boulders far below-- with the added weight of a backpack to make sure that you smash good and hard......maybe to your death......honestly, I was glad to finally have those snow fields behind me!

On to "Gnarl Ridge!!"...

By the time I trudged up to the highest point of this hike, right around 7,000 feet at Gnarl Ridge, I decided to put on more sunscreen. Up that high the sun is intense, so, while Ben was back down the trail behind me taking photographs, I whipped off my shirt to spread some of the really heavy duty white paste sun block on I was carrying in my pack. I smeared it all over my face, arms and shoulders. It would have been fun to have a backpacker coming from the other direction round' the corner and surprise me with my top off smearing white junk all over myself!

When Ben and Bella caught up to me on this ridge it was about mid-day and starting to get really hot. We had now been totally exposed to the sun for a couple of hours and it looked like we had at least another hour of walking on the moon before we dropped to the tree-line again. Bella was getting hot and tired. She had been laying down in the snow fields trying to keep herself cool.

We poured water over her head, soaked her chest, and gave her a cool long drink. Bella over heating is always a very real danger that we watch out for. She had her hiking boots on so we were not concerned about the pumice rock tearing her foot pads up, but, with her shiney black coat, the heat is always a danger.

On the way down we came across some old gnarled trees that are hundreds of years old. These trees survive the heat, the cold, the snow and the wind, year after year up on that exposed ridge. That day they offered us a little shade to rest Bella under--we were very grateful for it.

It was now a steady decent down off the other side of the ridge that we had been climbing up to all day.

Down below us……..far, far, down below….was Newton Creek. Up at Gnarl Ridge we could see the Newton-Clark glacier. Newton Creek is the melt off from this glacier.

Finally, at about the tree-line, we came across the old Gnarl Ridge stone shelter. Unfortunately, like several others around the mountain, time and the elements have reduced it to little more than a pile of rubble (sorry no picture of it, we were only concerned at this point with getting Bella out of the sun and cooled down). The shelter was destroyed by a rock slide many years ago.

Here we passed a man and two teenage sons going up the direction we had just come from. I always get a kick when I see the faces of teenagers when they see me trudging along toward them. It is always sort of a ‘what the hell?!’ look when they first see me. Needless to say, there are not that many grandmothers out hiking in the back-country.

Picture above is beautiful Mount Jefferson in the distance.
The centeries-old mangled trees up on Gnarl Ridge in the picture above and below...
Picture below is the trail leaving Gnarl Ridge.

It was a relief to now be back down among the pine trees. Their shade was wonderful! We stopped at this point and took Bellas' boots off to do a paw-pad check on her. Some of the sand dust from the pumice rock had gotten into her boots. Since we were now back on a soft trail though, we took them off so she could prance down the mountain "shoeless".

After a couple of miles we came to a split in the trail. The Timberline continues on from there to the Timberline Lodge about ten miles further. Here we split off to jump on the Elk Meadows trail. One mile to go to water, to our camp, to rest!

We found an old wooden shelter that was built in the 1960s right next to the edge of the meadow. We decided to set up camp back behind it, but to cook and eat our dinner over next to it. Mt. Hood looms large over this meadow and the beautiful wildflowers that grow there.

The next morning I was up and about doing my usual camp duties when into our camp came trotting a beautiful, large, black, standard poodle. I see a lot of different trail dogs out and about on the trails, but this was the very first time I had ever seen a standard poodle as a trail dog. His owner was a man about 40 with double hearing aids in his ears. He stopped to speak to me for just a moment. We talked dogs. His dog’s name was "Jean-Luc".

After a leisurely morning in camp we packed up and heading out on a trail that skirts around the edge of Elk Meadows. Suddenly up in front of me I heard a sound and lifted my head. Standing on the trail were two women and with them a beautiful, large, black, standard poodle! I am thinking to myself, “There is that dog again.” But nope, the women tell me that this dogs name is "Parker", and that earlier they too had met "Jean-Luc" on the trail. What are the chances that I would meet TWO beautiful, large, black standard poodles on the same trail in one day? I should have bought a lottery ticket when I got home!

After finally leaving the inspiring meadows behind, it was now a steady decent away from Elk Meadows and down to our trail-head where Jim would be meeting us. We were plugging along when the sound of rushing water met our ears through the trees. Ben stopped to check the maps….uh oh. We hadn’t realized that we now had to cross the Newton Creek that we had seen melting off the Newton-Clark glacier the day before! Holy cow…a river crossing.......and this one can be an ugly one.

We were very happy to find a nice flat log spanning the water when we got there. It was just a hop, skip, and a jump. We were over that frigid water, and we on our way.

This is me at Elk Meadows...with my Hulk Hogan head gear on!

There was not a red jeep at the end of the trail to meet us yet. So we found a tree to settle down under and ate huckleberries while we waited for Jim to show up.

After he did we then had to drive back way up to where we had left Ben’s truck at the Cloud Cap trailhead, but then it would be 50 miles an hour back down to the Columbia gorge and Portland valley that we call home. Ben went home via highway 26 back through Zig Zag, but Jim and I decided to go back through the gorge via Hood River. There is a vineyard there that we had wanted to visit. So even though I was dirty, stinky, and sweaty we found the vineyard…but it was closed. Oh well, guess we will make the trip out there another day!

Jim turned the Jeep toward home where I found a hot bath, and a soft bed….but it seemed really stuffy inside last night...I felt shut-in after spending such beautiful nights out in the open night air.

Usually I don’t get sore after hiking anymore….but today I am sore. I have figured out that it is because of the snow field crossings that I did. I had to keep my legs flexed for them, and I was using muscles that I don’t usually use while backpacking. By tomorrow the soreness should be gone...and I'll no doubt be itching to go again!

5 Comments:

At August 21, 2010 at 8:49 PM , Blogger Michael Carpenter said...

Sounds like fun!! Way to go.

 
At August 22, 2010 at 8:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of good pics!

 
At August 22, 2010 at 10:11 AM , Blogger New Attitude said...

oh, jenny, you're truly AWESOME!! thanks so much for the guided tour. i can't imagine how horrible that wind really was. and the treacherous ice walk. i'm seeing that this hiking really forces you to "be in the moment" which is what i'm trying to focus on doing nowadays. stop agonizing over the past and worrying about the future. just be alive in the present moments.

thanks for the gorgeous pics. i'm so happy you and your adult son can bond in these amazing experiences you share together. no wonder you're so happy! shalom and many more happy trails to you!

 
At September 22, 2010 at 1:27 AM , Blogger Ozlamanite said...

Cool pic's Jenny, can't wait to go backpacking with you when I get to the U.S.

Luv
Oz

 
At September 22, 2010 at 9:10 AM , Blogger Jenny said...

You guys make me smile :) Thanks for your comments and support!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home