This page has moved to a new address.

To Pack or Not To Pack--that is the question

Go Backpack With Jenny: To Pack or Not To Pack--that is the question

Monday, July 5, 2010

To Pack or Not To Pack--that is the question

I grew up watching westerns where everybody carried a gun. Yet I can't remember my folks owning a gun. If they did, it wasn't discussed, or known by me.

I do remember that my Dad kept a wooden club behind his bedroom door, handy to bash the brains out of anyone who tried to break into our house. I pittied the fool who might try to go up against my Dad and his club!

Owning a gun is a big topic of discussion among some of my children these days. I have been advised by some of them to carry a pistol with me when I backpack, or when we travel in our little travel trailer.

I have resisted this idea.

We never had a gun in the house when our kids were growing up. I felt the risk of a kid finding it and then accidentally shooting themselves, or someone else, was too great.

I have heard people say, "If you think you need to pack a gun into the wildness, then you shouldn't be out in the wildness." In some ways I agree with this statement. If you are overly scared of what might be out in the woods that you can't enjoy yourself, don't go into the woods.

Yet....it isn't really what is out in the woods that is making me think about carrying a pistol. It is the humans on the trails that is making me revisit the idea of carrying a weapon.

I have never quit a hike because I felt 'uneasy'. Not until yesterday.

Ben and I were frustrated by our aborted Wahtum Lake to the gorge hike. Plus we both wanted to get away from the fourth of July fireworks war zone that our neighborhood turns into.

A nice stay in the woods sounded like a good idea, so we head off for an over-nighter out in Eagle creek. Not "THE Eagle creek" in the Columbia gorge, but the little known Eagle creek out in the Estacada area of Oregon.

The trailhead is down a bumping dirt road, and the trail is remote and not well used. We felt this was the perfect place to get away from all the fireworks, to spend a night in the forest. It was 2:30 in the afternoon when our boots stood at the beginning of the path. Ben's little truck was the only vehicle parked by the little sign that marked the start of the hike.

It was a wonderful old growth rain forest that crowed in on both sides of the trail while we walked steadily down hill toward the sound of the creek. We were walking along at a steady clip for an hour and a half, when Ben glanced back over his shoulder at me. He saw two people making their way down the trail behind us. "People" he said to me. I pulled up and we stood to the side of the trail to allow them to pass us. As they approached I looked at my watch. It was 4:00pm. I noted that they were both in there late 20's. A male and a female. They weren't carrying backpacks, which seemed a little odd since it was getting late in the day to start a day hike. I don't like to make snap judgments about people, but these two were dressed in black and didn't look like 'trail' people.

They walked on by us, and on down the trail. Ben and I stood for a moment before following behind them. We walked on for about 20 feet when we both held up again and stood in the middle of the trail. "Do you think they are OK?" Ben asked me. "I don't know" I replied.
Ben's wilderness senses were tingling, which made me pause and also think about our situation.

We were far off the beaten path. It was late in the day on a major holiday. Two out of place individuals had just gone ahead of us on a trail that we were not familiar with, and Ben's wilderness senses were picking up something that he wasn't comfortable with.

We turned around and hiked back to the truck. When your wildness senses tingle, you need to pay attention. Something was not right about the situation, but even more important then that.....when your senses are tingling, you better pay attention.

This whole situation has gotten me to thinking about the value of carrying a pistol with me.
Would it stop a bear? Probably not. Could I even hit a bear if I tried to shoot it? Probably not.

It isn't the four legged animals that really concern me or the reason I might put a pistol in my pack-- sometimes it's the two legged ones that make me go hmmmmmmmm...

7 Comments:

At July 11, 2010 at 7:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get a gun and also get a concealed weapon permit. Start now it takes several months before it comes through. You may not carry a gun in a backpack without it. Also you will want to get a special fanny pack for it. It doesn't do much good in your backpack. Chances are you will never need to use it. Hopefully if you ever need to pull it out, the offender will see it as enough of a threat to walk on by.
Thank goodness you followed your gut!!!!

 
At July 11, 2010 at 10:22 PM , Blogger Jenny said...

I have decided to get a gun. I am starting to get the info on a concealed weapon permit, and I am going to learn how to shoot it(The gun, not the permit).
The fanny pack is a good idea.
I am going out for a three night, four day, hike up to Mt. St. Helen's tomorrow...with bear spray. That will have to do for this trip.
Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it!

 
At July 12, 2010 at 10:58 AM , Blogger Insana D said...

Wow Jenny, That Estacada trail sounds a lot like the area I grew up in in Sandy and there are some really dangerous spots along the creek that just a little turn of the ankle could kill you, let alone a crazed Ninja couple unprepared for wilderness hiking.

I'm not a fan of guns and even if I owned one I'd be a complete doofus when it came to shooting it. Then I'd end up keeping the bullets in some place I'd forget and so the gun would end up being just some big club that I'd have to try to use to clomp my agressor over the head with.

If I did manage to load it in time to use it I'd probably overshoot or even hit my own foot, or accidentally shoot something or someone I loved.

Then there's the reality of my bad temper and what if I got really pissed at some right wing nut job and decided to take out my frustrations on them? I don't trust my own self control if I owned a gun.

I do have humor though and have yet to find a situation where it didn't help diffuse a lot of anger or fear.

Your husbands instincts and spidey senses are far more powerful than any protective tool and were quite possibly the best protection you could ever wish for.

BABB and I met a creepy guy while hiking down to Havasu falls who wasn't carrying any gear and was in this odd orange outfit (not a prison jumpsuit but very strange looking anyway). We were waiting for the Helicopter for our turn out and he just jumped the line and got in the copter with us. I hadn't seen him go pay or anything and as soon as we got off the copter he headed for a pickup.

Later we were at the South Rim hiking with my daughter and he was there hanging out on one of the trails. He really gave me the creeps and all my spidey senses were tingling.

I'm glad you're ok and that you didn't fall on that trail or twist an ankle. I'm also glad the Ninja's didn't kill you and hack your bodies to pieces and leave you in the ferns to rot till just the bits of your browned dirty bones were found twenty years later by some hiker off doing his "Business" in the brush. That would be terrible.

 
At July 12, 2010 at 11:00 AM , Blogger Insana D said...

Dangit, I just posted a clever comment and it disappeared. I'll try to re-think it.

 
At July 12, 2010 at 11:00 AM , Blogger Insana D said...

Oops, there it is. Silly me.

 
At July 12, 2010 at 6:16 PM , Blogger Jenny said...

You are too funny. My luck the hiker who would find my bones would poop on me before they noticed my rotten body :)
And I may very well wind up shooting myself in the foot...but what a great story that would be.
Yea I know...guns are not funny and we shouldn't make fun of them. But I make fun of just about everything. Mostly myself, and I am much more dangerous than a gun.

 
At July 18, 2010 at 11:22 AM , Blogger Mandi E. said...

Thank you for turning back! That does sound like a fishy situation that is not worth risking it. Way to go with your gut.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home